The Casa Dorada: House of Culture
La Casa de Cultura de Tarija, Bolivia

Travel Insurance!

Tarija Home   Tours   Forum   Hotels   Photos   Maps   Info   Food

Custom Search



La Casa Dorada Tarija Bolivia Slideshow: BoliviaBella.com’s trip to Tarija was created with TripAdvisor TripWow!


English

The Casa Dorada is one of two beautiful castle-like buildings in Tarija built by the same man: Moisés Navajas Ichazo, a very wealthy “chapaco” businessman who, not having any descendents of his own, decided these two imposing mansions would be what he’d be remembered for. The most famous is the Casa Dorada, now a cultural symbol of the valleys of Tarija.

Moisés Navajas Ichazo was the talented descendant of a Sephardi Jew from Spain (Navajas) who converted to Catholicism, emigrated to Bolivia, and married a Tarijeña whose last name was Ichazo. From a very early age Moisés was very Business-minded. He abandoned his studies and took up trading full time. He inherited a large amount of money from his father and invested it first in a botica where he sold imported supplies. He then began to bring all types of goods from Europe, first by sea, then using pack animals, which he sold in Potosí, Tarija, and several cities in northern Argentina.

His wife, Esperanza Morales Serrano, had the same gift for trade as he did and became his right hand, handling business transactions. However, she bore no children and the made no effort to adopt. In 1887 the couple commissioned a pair of Swiss-Italian architects (Antonio and Miguel Camponovo) to build a house on a property they owned just one block from the central plaza in Tarija (Plaza Luis de Fuentes). The house was to be not only majestic, but also unique, giving them no reason to envy European mansions. In addition, it was to have features unlike the usual Bolivian architecture of the times.

The Camponovos understood their desires perfectly and designed a two-storied Art Noveau building with slight traces of the Mudéjar style on the first floor. Local materials were used for the structure, but others such as paintings, moldings, tapices, marble stairs, rugs, curtains, statues, utilería, mirrors, furniture, collectable art and more were imported. At the homeowners’ request, the bottom floor was designed as a type of shopping center with nine interconnected storefronts, much like modern strip malls where the Navajas exhibited their merchandise for sale. The care and detail given to each room is outstanding. No restrooms were built as the back patio was used for this and also for unloading animals and receiving the mule drivers. From the main entrance there is a corridor that passes through what used to be the stores and leads to a white marble staircase that ascends to the second floor.

On the top floor there is a reception room, a huge dining room, a chapel, and the bedrooms used by Moisés Navajas and his wife, with discreet balconies that have wrought iron railings and are decorated with feminine statues. Although on the first floor there is evidence the homeowners paid homage to the Star of David, there is also a pretty private chapel with ceilings featuring the Passion of Christ hand painted by Italian artists Jose Strocco and Helvecio Camponovo. The façade features tall columns, arches and feminine statues on the ledges. In addition, the house is painted a deep orange color inside and the exterior has been painted gold with silver accents, which is why it’s called the Casa Dorada (Golden House).

After sixteen years of construction, the house was inaugurated in January of 1903. The Navajas lived in it for decades, continuing their import and trade business, and philanthropy. When Moisés died in 1939 his wife lived there alone. When Esperanza died the house was inherited by her nieces and nephews until, in 1974, the national government decided that it was not being given proper “social” uses and issued a decree to expropriate it. The Morales siblings appealed and reached an agreement with the judge: they would inhabit it until the last of them, who was already elderly, died. When she passed away two years later the house was turned over to the Juan Misael Saracho Autonomous University on the 29th of January, 1976. Years later, in 1985 it was turned into the Casa de la Cultura de Tarija (the Tarija House of Culture), and this was endorsed by the government in 1988.

After six years of extensive renovations, it is now a museum. Visitors can enter Monday through Friday to take a one-hour tour. The house contains original artwork, busts and sculptures, furniture, curtains, statues, a grand piano made of red cedar, lighting and lamps, clothing, murals, and original samples of some of the goods and merchandise the Navajas used to sell in their stores. Tours begin at 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. and at 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. and cost Bs. 5 (about 80 cents of a dollar). Because the interiors still contain many original paintings, wallpaper and fabrics, you can take photos of the exteriors only and furniture may not be touched. Some of the Casa Dorada salons are also used for cultural events such as art exhibits and concerts. It has an auditorium, library and theater.

Casa de la Cultura de Tarija
Ingavi No. 0370
Tarija – Bolivia
Tel: (591-4-663-4201 or 664-4606
Email: cadorada@uajms.edu.bo

Español

Las dos edificaciones palaciegas más hermosas de Tarija deben su construcción al mismo hombre: Moisés Navajas Ichazo, un riquísimo comerciante chapaco, quien decidió que, al carecer de descendencia, serían un par de imponentes mansiones quienes perpetuaran su memoria. La más famosa es la Casa Dorada, símbolo cultural del valle andaluz.

Don Moisés era el talentoso descendiente de un judío sefardita natural de España, converso al catolicismo y emigrado a Bolivia, donde se estableció y contrajo nupcias con una dama tarijeña de apellido Ichazo. Desde joven mostró dotes para los negocios, descuidando por ello sus estudios para dedicarse totalmente al comercio. Heredó de su padre una apreciable cantidad de dinero, que invirtió primero en una botica para la que importaba insumos, y luego en traer toda clase de bienes desde Europa por vía marítima, que luego transportaba en caravanas de animales de carga para vender en Potosí, Tarija y varias ciudades del norte argentino.

Su esposa, doña Esperanza Morales Serrano, poseía el mismo olfato comercial que él, convirtiéndose en su mano derecha para sus transacciones, más no le dio hijos, y tampoco se afanaron en procurarse uno adoptivo. En 1887, la pareja decide contratar los servicios de los arquitectos suizo-italianos Antonio y Miguel Camponovo para construir una casa en un terreno que poseían a pocos metros de la Plaza Luis de Fuentes. La casa debía ser no solo majestuosa, sino única, sin nada que envidiar a las mansiones europeas, y que tuviera características que no fuesen usuales en la arquitectura criolla boliviana.

Los Camponovo captaron perfectamente los deseos de los esposos Navajas, diseñando un edificio de dos plantas de estilo Art Noveau, con leves trazos del estilo Mudéjar en el primer piso. Se empleó material local para la estructura, pero se importaron los materiales para todo lo demás desde pinturas, molduras, tapices, escaleras de mármol, alfombras, cortinas, estatuas, utilería, espejos, muebles, arte coleccionable, etc. A pedido de los dueños, la planta baja se diseño como una especie de centro comercial, con nueve tiendas interconectadas, al estilo de los multicentros modernos, en las que los Navajas exhibían a la venta su mercancía. Lo llamativo es que, con todo el cuidado y detallismo en los ambientes, no se construyeron baños, función que cumplía el patio posterior, donde también descargaban a los animales y recibían a los arrieros. Desde la entrada principal, un corredor pasa por lo que eran las tiendas y lleva hacia una escalera de mármol blanco que sube la planta alta.

La planta alta estaba ocupada por un salón de recepciones, un comedor enorme, un oratorio y las habitaciones de Moisés Navajas y su esposa, con balcones de aspecto sobrio que tienen barandales de hierro forjado y están sostenidos por estatuas femeninas. Aunque se ve una especie de homenaje al legado judío del propietario en la Estrella de David existente en el patio de la planta baja, se erigió también una bonita capilla privada, cuyo techo tiene frescos de la Pasión de Cristo pintados por artistas italianos Jose Strocco y Helvecio Camponovo. Por otra parte, en la fachada se pueden apreciar columnas, arcos ajerezados y estatuas femeninas en las cornisas, además de que esta pintada de un colorido tono dorado con acentos plateados, a lo que debe su nombre de Casa Dorada.

Su inauguración fue el 1 de enero de 1903, luego de dieciséis años de construcción. Los Navajas la ocuparon durante décadas, sin dejar su actividad mercantil y la filantropía. Cuando murió don Moisés en 1939, su esposa continuo habitándola sola. A la muerte de ella, la casa fue heredada por la familia Morales, sobrinos de doña Esperanza, hasta que en 1974, el gobierno nacional decidió que no se le daba un uso social y decretó expropiarla para fines colectivos. Los Morales apelaron, llegándose a un acuerdo tras un juicio, según lo cual la última habitante, de avanzada edad, tenía derecho a ocuparla hasta su muerte. Dos años después, al fallecer ella, la casa paso a propiedad de la Universidad Autónoma Juan Misael Saracho el 29 de enero de 1976. Luego, en julio de 1985 se convirtió en la Casa de la Cultura de Tarija, lo cual fue refrendado por el gobierno en 1988, conservando esa función hasta el presente.

Hoy, luego de seis años de extensas renovaciones, funciona como museo. Los visitantes pueden tomar tours de lunes a viernes, y estos duran una hora. La casa contiene piezas de arte originales, bustos y esculturas, muebles, cortinas, estatuas, un piano de cedro rojo, luces y lámparas, murales, y muestras y excedentes originales de la mercancía que se ofrecía a la venta en las tiendas de la “Casa Comercial Navajas”. Los tours empiezas puntualmente a las 9:00, 10:00 y 11:00 de la mañana o a las 3:00, 4:00, y 5:00 de la tarde a un costo de Bs. 5). Debido a que los interiores albergan pinturas, papel de pared, y telas originales de la época, únicamente se permite tomar fotos de los exteriores y se prohíbe tocar los muebles. Algunos de los salones de la Casa Dorada son usados para eventos culturales como exposiciones de arte y conciertos. Además hay un auditorio, una biblioteca-hemeroteca, y un teatro.

Casa de la Cultura de Tarija
Ingavi No. 0370
Tarija – Bolivia
Tel: (591-4-663-4201 or 664-4606
Email: cadorada@uajms.edu.bo

Corresponsal: Alura Gonzales

Tarija Home   Tours   Forum   Hotels   Photos   Maps   Info   Food


New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment below.