What are the requirements to obtain U.S. citizenship for a foreign-born child?

I am Bolivian, but am a naturalized citizen of the United States. I currently live in the United States. My child was born in Bolivia where he currently lives with his mother. Is it possible for me to obtain U.S. citizenship for my child? If so, what are the steps that must be taken, how much does it cost, how much time would it take to do this, and what are the requirements?

Comments for What are the requirements to obtain U.S. citizenship for a foreign-born child?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 07, 2012
How to obtain US citizenship for foreign-born children
by: US Citizen Services US Embassy La Paz, Bolivia

The full information on how to transmit American citizenship to a foreign born child is available on the State Department website at http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_782.html

There 2 main courses:

· Obtaining a "Certificate of Birth Abroad" (CRBA). For this, the applicant must prove the biological link to the child and must have lived in the U.S at least 60 months - 24 of them after the age of 14 - prior to the child 'birth.


· The Child Citizenship Act of 2000. For this, the American parent applies online on the USCIS.gov website and once the application is accepted needs to travel with the child to the U.S. By stepping on U.S soil the child acquires the citizenship.


We hope this information is useful.

American Embassy - (Bolivia)
Consular Section - American Citizen Services
Website: http://bolivia.usembassy.gov

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Live in Bolivia.