Needing info on marriage in Bolivia


My boyfriend (from Bolivia) and I want to marry in England but he is illegal here so we are thinking about marrying in Bolivia and then applying for a marriage visa for England, in Bolivia. Can anyone help me with this information, is it possible and how long do we have to wait for the visa???

Comments for Needing info on marriage in Bolivia

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 04, 2015
We're cam I find a copy of marriage license in records in Bolivia
by: Anonymous

I'm having trouble locating on Google website search engine will not give me a Pacific site I was married in Bolivia in 2005 I now live in the United States and I just need if anyone knows how to find or get a copy of my marriage license

Aug 26, 2013
Hi. I am in the same situation.
by: Anonymous

I am now in the same situation as you, but I notice that your posting is over a year old so would be interested to know how you got on with the marriage and visa.

Jun 02, 2012
Thanks. for the info
by: Anonymous


May 18, 2012
take specialist UK-based legal advice
by: Anonymous

Before you do anything I would recommend you take advice from a UK-based immigration lawyer. You should do this as a couple and also as an individual who is potentially sponsoring a foreign spouse so that you understand the legal ramifications of this.

You should also look at the UK border agency website.

Being married to a British citizen is no guarantee that your Bolivian boyfriend will be allowed to re-enter/ stay in the UK. It maybe that being in the UK illegally will earn him an automatic ban from the country for a certain time period. I have no idea.

Similarly, being married to a Bolivian citizen is no guarantee that you will be allowed to stay in Bolivia but as long as you don't have a criminal record and don't have any communicable disease you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Good luck and welcome to the world of Bolivia-related bureaucracy!

May 16, 2012
Marriage in Bolivia
by: Anonymous

In order to marry in Bolivia, you will need to get a Specific Purpose visa (Visa Objeto Determinado) from your local Bolivian consulate, a certificate proving you are single, legalized by the Bolivian consulate in your country of origin, your birth certificate also legalized by the Bolivian consulate in the country of origin. The visa is only good for 30 days from the date you arrive, so you must hit the ground running, or plan to start your Bolivian residency. In addition, you will need a bunch of papers that you must get in Bolivia. My suggestion would be to contact your local Bolivian consulate to make sure you get the most current requirements, but keep in mind that it is not an easy or inexpensive process.

In any case, you must first get married by the Registro Civil, then you can have a religious ceremony if that is your desire.

Hope this at least gives you an idea of some of the things to keep in mind.

May 16, 2012
Marriage in Bolivia
by: Rebeca

Hello, Marriage in Bolivia is posible, there are some requirements to follow and you will happily marry soon. Basically you need these documents with you:

1.- Birth Certificate legalized and translated into spanish, both original and translated copy needs to be legalized.
2.- Singleness (spanish= certificado de solterio)
3.- Have entered Bolivia on Special porpose Visa.
4.- Passport with at least 1 year of validity.

Legalize first in bolivian embassy in the counttry of origin or in England embassy in Bolivia, later legalize in Cancilleria in Bolivia. Looks difficult but it´s not.
Below you will find a link with a special experience of Alison D who kindly shared with us.
Anything please write

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Travel Forum.