How do I obtain a drivers license in Bolivia?

by Jeff
(Santa cruz)

I am now living in Santa Cruz and want to obtain a international driving permit or a bolivian license. I have not applied for my residency because i am still waiting on my background check to be returned from the police therefore I am unable to apply for about 20 days more. What is the best solution? Do I need to get the international license first or can I apply directly for the bolivian license with my US license?...Where do I get my IDL?...

Comments for How do I obtain a drivers license in Bolivia?

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 13, 2013
my International driver license
by: Anonymous

I got my from

Mar 12, 2012
by: Somnath

Hi I have been in Bolivia for many years, I am an Indian too. The process of getting a Bolivian driving license is not very simple if you do not have an residency permit. Once you obtain residency permit, you can go to "transito" in your city and start the process. They will ask you to get interpol certificate which takes a bit of time, but you know everything has a simple way of getting done in Bolivia...just by paying some money. Cheers.

Mar 04, 2012
driving licence

yes, your home country which issued your driving licence will also be the country which issues your international driving permit. But do the US automobile association rules prohibit you from doing this paperwork via the post/ courier from Bolivia?

You need a carnet to do the paperwork for a Bolivian driving licence and for this you need to have your residency. Sorry.

Mar 02, 2012
where to get an international drivers license in bolivia
by: BoliviaBella

Thanks for letting me know. I just spoke to Rebeca and she is going to respond to you.

Mar 02, 2012
question continued
by: Anonymous

I have tried at the automovil club boliviano and they tell me I should have done this in the US. Is this correct????

Mar 02, 2012
where to get an international drivers license in bolivia
by: BoliviaBella

For an international driving permit go to AAA. In Santa Cruz, that is located on the 3rd ring between Banzer and Beni across from the New York Mall (the mall with the ridiculous statue of liberty on the roof) at the Automóvil Club Boliviano (their offices are the doors behind the gas station).

Not sure you can get a Bolivian DL if you are not a resident - write our Expat Services lawyer Rebeca Gonzales (she speaks English)

Read this page for more information:

Mar 02, 2012
by: Vimal

Hi, I got my IDL before I came to Bolivia, I am an Indian citizen though. But since your an U.S. citizen maybe you can try this link


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Travel Forum.