New zealander already in Bolivia wanting to stay longer than 30 days

I am a new zealander and have been stamped 30 days in my passport on arrival here. I am hoping to stay longer than this as I am studying Spanish in Sucre. I will then be travelling around Bolivia, going over the 30 days. Do I need to get another visa, if so how? Or can I just pay late fees, 20 bolivianos per day. I will only be an additional ten or so days. I don't want to get in trouble by police or immigration if stopped to show documents at any stage after the 30 days. Thanks

Comments for New zealander already in Bolivia wanting to stay longer than 30 days

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 12, 2012
prolongation of visa
by: Nele


I recommend you just call the local migration office. Most probably they can give you a prolongation of your visa, which is free or almost free. It depends on your nationality, but most nationalities do have a right of at least one prolongation.

If you stay in the country longer then your visa date, you will indeed pay 20 Bs per day, but apart from the money and administrative time it takes at the border, this doesn't have any long term implications, you won't be treated as an illegal who can't get back to the country or something like that.

You might get in that kind of trouble if you are here more then 180 days a year, but I understand this is not the case.

Kind greetings,

Nele Marien


Jun 12, 2012
ask for an extension
by: Anonymous

Since New Zealanders do not need a travel visa to enter Bolivia (you are in Group 1*), but since your passport was stamped for only 30 days permission in Bolivia, you MIGHT be able to go to Immigration and ask for a 30-day extension.


Immigration is located near the Tahuichi soccer stadium in the Zona Sur.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Travel Visa Forum.