confused!!!! very confused!!! and traveling this saturday HELP please!!!

by gabriela
(texas, USA)

im ecuadorian, my husband is bolivian , our four year old is a USA born citizen.... we r traveling to bolivia next saturday, and i just found out our son needs a visa, various problems here.. my husband is in mexico away in business(he is coming back friday night in time for our trip), so i cant go and request a visa at the bolivian consulate , as BOTH parents must be present... my son's USA passport expires on oct.2010, im not sure how the six months minimum are counted, if its by months (starting may) we r ok, if its date to date, we only have 5 months... neither my son, or myself have yellow fever shot... so, i've been reading, and i know i can get the visa for him at the airport.. or so i think... can i???

... next option, im an ecuadorian citizen , and thru me, my son holds dual citizenship, he has is national identification card (DIN, in spanish) and by the mercosur treaty as an ecuadorian, im allow to travel to bolivia only with the DIN card... at least this is what it says on many websites, but neither the bolivian or ecuadorian websites are specific about it...

so, to sum it up... how are the months counted in the passport? (i want to know if i can use my son's USA passport, and just get the visa at the airport).... can we (my son and i) as ecuadorian citizens (we r in group one for the visa) travel to bolivia with only our national identification cards? no passport needed?

thank you so much for ur help.... i will be calling the consulate tomorrow, but even them are sometimes confused with their policies....

Comments for confused!!!! very confused!!! and traveling this saturday HELP please!!!

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 16, 2010
Call the Bolivian Consulate in Washinton DC
by: Anonymous

Since you are traveling in just a few days your best bet is probably to call the Bolivian Consulate in Washington D.C. where they are very knowledgeable and sometimes more up to date about visa questions than other Bolivian consulates in the US.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the passport has to be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date on which travel begins. They will know the answer to this.

Be sure to mention that his father is Bolivian and will be traveling with the child. Mentioning this is important.

Also mention that the child has Ecuadorian citizenship and ask them if they think it would be best for your son to travel on his Ecuadorian passport to Bolivia. However, also ask them if he travels on his Ecuadorian passport to Bolivia, which passport should he use to return to the US. The Ecuadorian passport or the US passport.

Also ask them if it would be possible to get the yellow fever shot upon arrival. We've heard some tourists are administered the shot at the border before entering, but this has usually been at road borders between Chile and Peru. Not sure if you could get it at the airport upon arriving in Bolivia, but it would be a good idea to ask.

en Washington DC
4420 Connecticut Avenue Nw Suite # 2
Washington, D.C. 20008
Teléfonos: (202) 232 4827 / 28
Fax: (202) 232 8017

As you can see, this is why the information on our visa page, although it is as updated as possible, can apply differently to each individual. Because every person has a distinct passport and citizenship situation. I think the consulate in DC is your best option for information.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Travel Visa Forum.