Cochabamba - Future Resident Questions - Anyone?
by Jim C.
(Seattle, WA, USA)
My family and I are planning to relocate from the US to Cochabamba in mid 2012, for 12-24 months. I've been researching as much as possible, but have a number of questions that I can't seem to find answers to. Any help from other expats in Cochabanda will be greatly appreciated!
1. Furnished rental housing (house, townhouse or condo):
Our budget is $600-650 for monthly rent (3-4 bedrooms, furnished, 2 baths/showers). We're targeting the Sarco neighborhood and other good neighborhoods in a 2-3 km radius of the Mall and IC Norte. Is this budget feasible for what we want (above) in these neighborhoods? If not, what would be more realistic?
2. Is rental accommodation still readily available (as of December 2011)? I can't find much being advertised - although have read that this is typical.
3. Any suggestions for a good real estate (rental) agency - English speaking? I understand the limits of agency help but don't (yet) speak Spanish!
4. Any tips for other good neighborhoods that would fit our rental budget for 3-4 bedrooms? We won't have a car, so don't want to be too far away from supermarkets and good shopping areas. Schools are not an issue.
5. I've heard that many homes don't have hot water electric heating, washers and dryers - is this true for Cochabamba too?
So sorry for all the questions, but these are the big gaps in my research. Any help will be greatly appreciated!